Kunio-kun Community

A forum dedicated to the Kunio-kun game series.

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in
ANNOUNCEMENT: Come join #KunioKun! Our own IRC Channel on irc.esper.net!
ANNOUNCEMENT: We are now on Steam as well! Come join us if you'd like: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Kunio-kun
HEADS-UP: Join the ChatBox for some live... well... chatting! Just scroll down below on the forum front page!
ATTENTION! Forum address has been changed to kkgc.forum-motion.net!
COMING UP: Forum rules update. A possible reputation system?

Share | 

Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:04 am

Well here it is.  I don't know what people are expecting as far as a storyline goes because everything is still in Japanese.  

RIVER CITY RANSOM : DOWNTOWN SPECIAL EX!!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9f7czqepvkwxk6a/River+City+Ransom+-+Downtown+Special+EX!.rar

Note:  This is an updated version with a few fixes in the data files. I finished the Duel Mode. There a couple new boss fights at the end of the game.

Story
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically Simon is back, hes looking for revenge, and hes somehow persuaded many of Alex and Ryan's greatest rivals to help him get it.  Have Simon a.k.a Slick's powers returned?  Or are there other forces at work?  

It starts with a phone call from Sanki, one of Alex's long time friends (and Roxys new boyfriend) that lives a train ride away from River City.  His school has been taken over by gang members, and is being used as a base of operations while they began to take control of the city itself.  The schools students quickly conform to their ways and suddenly become ruthless criminals, and the public starts to panic....but the girls will still try to do their shopping.  Oh, and Cyndi's been kidnapped again.  I wonder who done it?  Alex informs Ryan, and the two of them are off...and their friends Gary and Rick decide to tag along just for the hell of it.  

Ahh... maybe one day I'll write the dialogue for what everyone says in the game, drawing most of the text from River City Ransom EX for GBA.  But that'll take a long long time to do.

So now that that's out of the way...here is what this game features without giving away too much!  

Featuring Characters from:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

River City Ransom
Super Dodge Ball/Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball
Nintendo World Cup/Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball-bu: Soccer Hen
Crash 'n the Boys Street Challenge
Kunio Kun no Nekketsu Soccer League
Nekketsu Kaktou Densetsu
Nekketsu! Street Basket - Ganbare Dunk Heroes
Downtown Nekketsu Baseball Monogatari
Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou!

All the gangs and characters from River City Ransom EX are in, as well as 2 new gangs that I created based on some of the gangs you fight in Downtown Special: the Outlaws, and the Revenants.

Whats the objective of the game? / What was my objective for the game?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This game is all about fighting the gangs in order from the easiest to the hardest, all the while making your way to the school for the final battles.  You can try to get to the school right away but you'll find that that is impossible, and I'll explain why later.  You can also try to challenge yourself by fighting the gangs out of order, but I recommend fighting them in order if you want the best playing experience.

I tried to emulate the gameplay and AI behavior of the NES game as best as I could.  I wanted the gameplay to feel like the NES game but with the new moves that are introduced in Downtown Special.

I mentioned something about trying to make the game more linear.  Those familiar with Downtown Special know you can get to anywhere on the map in a relatively short amount of time right at the start of the game.  Those who've played that game also know that the bosses show up on the map; some seek you out, and some actually ran away from you causing you to have to chase them all over the place and constantly have to recheck the map to see if you are in the right region.  There are no more than 4 or 5 gangs on the map at the same time, so you end up running through empty rooms trying to find enemies.  

Well I wanted to do away with that whole mechanic as much as possible.  So while I was able to make the stages flow in a more linear path, I was not able to make bosses appear only in specific stages, like in River City Ransom.  I instead made it so that every boss tried to seek you out as quickly as possible.  

Here's the thing though: if you wanted to...not have fun, and not explore the rest of the world to discover the secret shops and find new abilities, you could technically stay in the first area the whole game and let everyone come to you.  So...in order to entice you to not to do that, I've made it so that there are roadblocks that prevent you from exploring the entire world until a certain boss is defeated.  

Here is an example.  The bridge leading to the factory area will be out until you defeat the leader of the Eagles gang.  Only then can you move on to see the rest of the world.  The second roadblock is a certain gate that won't open until a certain someone is defeated....I'm sure you can guess who it is.  You'll know what I'm talking about when you play.  

What Else?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The gang hierarchy is written in a notepad file called "gang list" in the "Tutorials" folder.  I've also included in that folder all the files I used to make the game like the "Letters for Names" file to name characters and write text,  and the file called "Comstyle info" makes it easier to program AI in the "comstyledata" folder.  The Jidaigeki Remake movelist is in there too.  I tried to discover new techs but there are a bunch at the end that are still a mystery to me so feel free to try to discover new stuff and write them in there(and don't forget to let me know, too).  There are also translations of the Eventdata and Scenario tutorial files that you fine gentlemen have provided me.  

In the graphics folder there is a bmp file called "menu translations" that I made by taking pictures of all the menu screens from Downtown Special.  They are a good reference to go by if its your first time playing, although they aren't the exact menus that the Jidaigeki Remake has.  They are close though.  In the graphics folder there is a bmp file called "Stage Screens Layout", which is what I used in order to help me make the game linear.  If you don't want to be spoiled by the new areas I added then you probably don't want to look at that.  

In the Sound folder, any file names that you see that have a (2) next to it I intended on being alternate songs that you can swap out for the originals if you want to.  I also made a folder called "PLEASE READ" with a "how to play" file in it containing all of the info that I wrote in this post.

TIPS
------------------------------------------------------------------------
- When you fight the Dragons gang (orange color shirts) and confront the boss, TATSU will ask you something.  Always say "yes" to this(the first option), otherwise no other bosses will appear and the game won't be able to move forward.  

- There is a secret shop directly downward from those blue windows in the stage to the left of where you start the game.  For 1000 dollars, you can buy the second item in the shop to acquire the jumping drop kick that you could do in River City Ransom.

- You will see that the factory can't be reached because the bridge is out.  In order for the bridge to get fixed, you need to defeat the leader of the Eagles gang(cyan color shirts).  When you go back to Sanki's after doing so, Nate will try to tell you about how the bridge has been fixed (well he's supposed to, but it's all in japanese still...). There is another roadblock later on that I will let you discover and figure out which boss you need to beat to continue past it(the answer should be obvious).

- The game can be pretty challenging, especially when it comes to those boss fights where you face off against 3 or 4 characters at the same time.  I suggest going into the "growth" menu and putting points into the stamina and endurance stats so that you can get a bigger life bar more quickly to make the start of the game easier.  Do it for your ally as well.  Please reference the "menu translations" bmp file in the graphics folder to help you navigate the menus.  

- Play it with a friend!  The AI partner be pretty annoying at times.  He'll do things like fight enemies off screen and he often draws the attention of the bosses more than you do.  I wasn't able to make the AI partner cooperate with you more so to fix it either turn him off or play with a friend.  He's not so bad when fighting gangs, but he'll get on your nerves when trying to fight bosses. Turning off the AI partner and playing solo will make the game significantly harder though, so be ready for that.  

- If you want any instructions on programming game controllers for you or/and your friend, please send me a private message and I'll tell you what I did to make it work.

- To put the game in full screen, open the notepad file called "system", located at the bottom of the folder where all the other folders are, and change that 1 you see under screenmodestart to a 0.    

Could There Possibly Be More??
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well not really, this last paragraph is where I tell everyone thanks for waiting and enjoy the game.  And also I'd love to hear your feedback or if you have any problems or questions about the game, please send me a private message.  Or just write in this topic.
Well damn that took a while to write.

Last edited by Venom1660 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:40 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
SwordGrayFire
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:14 am

Wow, I love this. I have no words for right now since i just started playing again, but if i did, i'll write them later. You have you worked done hard i have see. GoodJob man! ;D

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKDkid1
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:31 am

Hmm I will try it but it's to bad it doesn't have characters from my kunio game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/DANGEROVIDIU/videos?flow=grid&vi
Sorinkun
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:29 am

Wow!! Amazing, amazing, amazing! You are za beast!!
This goes straight in YouTube!!!

The level design and mechanics are awesome!

Thanks so much!

What I do to Danger!
Back to top Go down
http://www.nkdc.forum-motion.com/
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:54 am

I appreciate the tutorials, maybe I will follow them and make my own game, anyway thanks for the release (y)
Back to top Go down
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:22 pm

Danger X, I never intended on this game having characters made up by other people, so sorry to disappoint you.  It is meant to be treated as the sequel to River City Ransom that I always wished Downtown Special was.  Even though it doesn't include any of your characters, you should still give it a good play through.  Also yes, enjoy the tutorials, and good luck on trying to make your own game!

As for everyone else, thanks!  I did work pretty hard on this game, I've been working on it on and off since like 2011.  Help me spread the word about this game!  To tell you the truth, I don't think you could ask for a better version of the Jidaigeki Remake.  

I think I'll try to make some new videos to post on youtube since the other videos I recorded were when the game was incomplete(the AI hadn't been tweaked yet).  I'd be very happy to hear any other things you like (or don't like) about the game as you play, and please let me know when you've either beaten it or gotten far.

Don't forget what I said about the roadblocks if you want to see the other stages beyond the factory area.  I haven't even actually sat down to play it through myself, I was gonna get my brother to play it with me.  Sometimes the AI partner can be really annoying so to remedy that I suggest you try to play it with someone as well!

Ohh and something I should prolly say.  When you fight the Dragons gang (orange color shirts) and confront the boss, TATSU will ask you something.  Always say "yes" to this(the first option), otherwise no other bosses will appear and the game won't be able to move forward.  

Here's another tip.  There is a secret shop directly downward from those blue windows in the stage to the left of where you start.  For 1000 dollars, you can buy the second item in the shop to acquire the jumping drop kick you can do in River City Ransom.  I really wanted you to start the game with that but I couldn't figure out how.  Anyway, looking forward to your feedback, and don't skimp on the details!

EDIT:  okay, i added a new section in the first post called "TIPS".  Please look at it.
Back to top Go down
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:10 am

Vemon I mean the Original Nekketsu hockey, there are jidaigeki with some of those characters anyway have you heard about jidaigeki heresy?
Back to top Go down
Sorinkun
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:48 pm

I looked over the datas... and adding a character is pretty hard. Can someone explain me?

About spreading the word, well, with the help of youtube videos maybe. I don't think sharing it on facebook will help much, sadly...

What I do to Danger!
Back to top Go down
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:17 pm

confused

Last edited by DANGER X on Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sorinkun
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:46 pm

I meant, we post it on youtube. We make some videos and stuff, ok?

What I do to Danger!
Back to top Go down
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:45 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna make up a few youtube videos for the game.  If anyone else decides to make some youtube videos, please just say in the description that the game is made by Venom1660 and put the download link for the game there.  

Ahh...I was just playing the game a little bit, and I decided to tweak the comstyle a little bit more.  Here is the tweaked comstyledata file, just replace it with the old one.
Attachments
comstyledata.txt
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(24 Kb) Downloaded 4 times
Back to top Go down
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:57 pm

iLoveDubStep....is that you Sorinkun?  You want to add a character to your own game or to this one?  You need to use the eventdata, storycharadata, and scenario text files in unison.  Start by creating a line in the eventdata.  See those numbers that have dashes around them?  The first line has a  -60-.  This is a number of a character in storycharadata, Phil of the Generic Dudes.  So if you want to add a character to this game, then go to the bottom of the list and make a new line.  Whatever number that line is is gonna be the number you write in one of the lines in eventdata.  

Scenario is a bit tougher to explain, but it has to do with the eventdata number that you put your character in.  If you want your character to fight you, then make the second number a 0.  The third number is the eventdata number that you want to include.  The first and last numbers are the input switches; they tell the game when the character comes out and what character will come out after defeating them.  

If you want your character to be on the map from the beginning, make the first number a 0.  Try to use the other lines as guidelines to making your own.  The last number is say,  a 1.  The character that you want to come out after the first boss you made should have a 1 for the first number, and so on.  I don't know how to explain it too much better but I'll try to answer any questions.
Back to top Go down
Sorinkun
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:06 pm

Yes, I'm sorinkun.
I hope you won't leave us anytime soon as you are very helpfull!

I don't want to add a character in story mode but in Duel Mode or whatever you call it... I has to do with the duel chardata, familystatus and data, comestyle and personal status right? And how do I colorize them?

EDIT: can someone tell me how can I reach the Undergound area? I already passed the Factory area. And beaten lots of bosses... It's still an awesome yet challenging game!

What I do to Danger!
Back to top Go down
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:56 pm

Enter the Graphic folder and view the file "stage screens layout.bmp" by the way very useful Venom1660 Smile
Back to top Go down
Sorinkun
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:31 pm

Oh, yeah... Thank you, Danger Very Happy !

What I do to Danger!
Back to top Go down
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:48 am

ahh yes...the hockey game.  That is the one kunio game that I didn't play, so I didn't include any of those characters in it.  Well that's a shame, I know you're a big fan of the hockey game too...damn.  Also, no I didn't play jidaigeki heresy, whats that about?

Sorinkun/iLoveDubStep....the duel mode?  I never messed with that at all in my game, but I imagine it is much simpler than the main mode is to implement characters.  By looking at it, it looks like it works just like the storycharadata text file.  So if you know how to manipulate the storycharadata file, then you should have no problem with duelcharadata.  Familystatus and familydata have to do with the gangs only, I'm pretty sure.  

If you want to customize the colors of your characters you'll have to reference the colordata and palette files, and associate the numbers in those with the Clothes/Skin/Line columns in duelcharadata.  The rest should be somewhat self explanatory, but if you have other questions don't hesitate to ask.  Hey, I'm just glad you guys are enjoying the game!  And damn sorinkun, you made it passed the factory already??  I worked pretty hard on the factory area.  Hope you thought the level design was cool.  That rooftop stage took a while to make.
Back to top Go down
Sorinkun
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:51 am

Thanks for answering my questions Very Happy !
And yes. I did pass the factory area before making the reply. Everything looks so cool! I bet scenario.txt and eventdata.txt made possible the bridge system, secret shops and the addition of more areas, right?

What I do to Danger!
Back to top Go down
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:27 pm

I wanted to ask Venom you about a thing, you know after you finish the main story you can still find more gangs and beat other bosses but if you go to the "Hotel" to change the fighters the game will end is there any way to change the fighters in this case???
Back to top Go down
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:27 pm

danger x, where are you in the game right now? hmmm, I don't think there's a way around it if you already beat the final boss...What bosses are left for you to fight? There are multiple hotels, but I'm sure that no matter which one you go in will end the game.

and sorinkun, yeah the scenario and eventdata files helped me do the bridge mechanic thing. Pretty neat right? Did you come across the other roadblock yet?
Back to top Go down
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:20 am

I'm asking you because I want to add the hockey fighters to your hack (for my use) Do you think I can put the before the boss (by the way they are 58)?
Back to top Go down
Sorinkun
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:38 am

The other roadblock is unlocked after I beat Ivan and unlocked the HighSchool Smile Nice!

What I do to Danger!
Back to top Go down
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:23 am

yes, i think you can put them before the final boss as long as you make their input switch activate before the final bosses input switch activates in the scenario.txt. If you need further instructions, please send me a private message. Also, where did you get the faces for the hockey players? Just curious.

So you beat Ivan already huh? I tried to give a nice little throwback to River City Ransom. The highschool was another area I worked really hard on. The rooftop of the school is where I intended on having you fight the final boss. I'm sure your pretty close to the end then. I hope it's still challenging. Also, how bout the area before the school?
Back to top Go down
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:57 am

I got them from a kd almost all but they were wrong like the colors and I edited them and the rest and made them like in the original hockey game, I really worked a lot on my kd's....Ok we will do it when I'm ready.
Back to top Go down
Sorinkun
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:56 am

I'm very close to the end. Already talked with Todo.

Also, the areas from DD are amazingly awesome! I was surprinsed! You did remove the town stage. I see. How hard was it to remove a complete area? And from where did you get those stages? I know some of them are ripped from the original NES games.

Still, I have to do that video, but first, I want to complete the game. And, when the holidays come out, I will try to edit my own JD.

Oh, and maybe try to include a chardata for duel mode/story mode for those who don't know really anything about modding JD because I keep getting errors :3

Thank you!

What I do to Danger!
Back to top Go down
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:06 am

hmm alright, I'll work on the duelcharadata and re upload the game with all the updated comstyles, etc. Ill let you know when it's done. What stage did you say I removed? Town stage?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX    

Back to top Go down

Finished River City Ransom Downtown Special EX
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next