Kunio-kun Community

A forum dedicated to the Kunio-kun game series.

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in
ANNOUNCEMENT: Come join #KunioKun! Our own IRC Channel on irc.esper.net!
ANNOUNCEMENT: We are now on Steam as well! Come join us if you'd like: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Kunio-kun
HEADS-UP: Join the ChatBox for some live... well... chatting! Just scroll down below on the forum front page!
ATTENTION! Forum address has been changed to kkgc.forum-motion.net!
COMING UP: Forum rules update. A possible reputation system?

Share | 

River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:58 am

Hello, a long time ago I discovered the Jidaigeki Remake program and started messing with it, using the "Jidaigeki Remake: Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari EX" modification as a base.  I thought it was a pretty cool idea to try to Americanize Downtown Special so I took this mod a step further and worked to improve it to make it even more like River City Ransom.  In my version I modified the stages, graphics, bgms, and sounds.  I made many changes to all the notepad files in the Data folder, with the only exceptions being duelcharadata, personalstatus,  and config.

Stages:  There are many new stages as well as a few that I recreated that are from other Technos games, for example one of the areas looks like the first level in Double Dragon 1.  Theres an area that looks like the playground stage of the High School that was only in the Sharp version of Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari.  I modified the notepad files of many stages so they aren't just the same layouts as Downtown Special but with new graphics.  Many of the graphics I used are borrowed from spots that were in River City Ransom and other Kunio games.  

Graphics:  One of the things that took a long time was modifying the graphics of the charaaction file.  I replaced the school uniforms with jeans and t-shirts like the US version of River City Ransom and I gotta say I think they are pretty professionally done.  I was able to mess with the colordata notepad file to allow 3 colors on the character sprites instead of 2.  I'll attach the charaaction file so you can see for yourself.  

In an attempt to make the game feel more like River City Ransom, I tried to make the world more linear by forcing you to go through every stage of every area before making it to what I intended to be the final and hardest area to get to, the area that looks like River City High School.  If only I could tie the bosses to specific rooms but I think that is beyond the capabilities of the program.  

Bosses:  The boss order is completely changed.  I edited the eventdata and storycharadata files, as well as the familydata file.  One of the things you'll notice is that I translated the names of every gang member and boss to whatever English names they had in the US releases of games they were featured in.  Another thing I did was add the new gangs that were in the GBA version of River City Ransom, all with their respective names in that game.  I tried to modify the comstyle file and make the gangs act more like they do in the NES and GBA games, but it was mostly trial and error.  If anyone knows more about this please inform me.  

Problems:  Well, I never finished it.  I was figuring out the eventdata file by trial and error, and i think I caused some problems.  There are certain bosses that I cant get to show up and the recruiting of bosses got all screwed up.  Certain bosses that you let join your crew don't show up in the character menu and I wasn't able to fix it.  Maybe one of you can help.  I had a lot of ideas that I wanted to implement but the limitations of the program prevented me from doing so, which discouraged me from finishing it.  The files are just sitting here on my computer and I don't think I'll ever get around to messing with them again, so i figure I'd just post on here anyways.

If anyone wants to see some footage or something or want me to send the entire game to check it out, let me know.  Also, sorry for the long ass post.
Attachments
charaaction.bmp
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(481 Kb) Downloaded 16 times
Back to top Go down
Franco
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:56 am

looks nice
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/FrankTheEggRobo
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:05 am

heres some pictures of some of the stages i modified.  I could get around to recording a video of the game if anyone requests wants me to.
Attachments
Untitled.png
(113 Kb) Downloaded 12 times
Untitled2.png
(186 Kb) Downloaded 7 times
Untitled3.png
(116 Kb) Downloaded 6 times
Untitled4.png
(270 Kb) Downloaded 7 times
Untitled5.png
(227 Kb) Downloaded 5 times
Back to top Go down
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:40 am

Can you add some characters made by me?
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/DANGEROVIDIU/videos?flow=grid&vi
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:07 pm

I would but, I don't even know how to finish adding the rest of the characters I wanted in.  If someone can help me with it I'd be much obliged.  I'll make up a list of the bosses that I currently have in the game and the ones that I want put in still.  I did some things that screwed up certain bosses coming out.  

Other things happen that I don't want to happen such as bosses that I never wanted appearing that are in the storycharadata, and things like Benny and Clyde wanting to join my crew without wanting to fight.  Eventdata is what I really don't understand.

For some reason the other Zombies won't show up all of the sudden when I had no problems making them all show up before.  There's tons of problems..

Last edited by Venom1660 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:14 pm

yeah this game is buggy like KD...
Back to top Go down
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:10 pm

do you know how the eventdata file works Danger X? Or the scenario file? I think they are linked somehow.
Back to top Go down
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:47 am

man I know only KD, I never heard of any jidaigeki remake tutorial, why don't you make one?
Back to top Go down
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:00 am

haha, maybe if everything was in English I could figure it out easier. No one here knows how to manipulate the files in the Jidaigeki Remake? I find that pretty surprising. Just when I thought I had it all figured out it throws a curve ball at me.

I was gonna post a video of the game but after playing it again I realized why I stopped in the first place. The AI is so annoying, especially the bosses. They constantly run off the screen to geta new weapon even if there are tons of them on the stage already...it doesn't seem very fair to me and it doesn't seem like it can be fixed unless I figure out the comstyle file and I think that's what made me give up. I still might post a video on youtube or something if I'm bored enough.
Back to top Go down
Franco
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:44 pm

i think Chris Drake and SwordGrayFire know how to manipulate the jidaigeki remake. i'm not sure if that true but you may ask them.
Back to top Go down
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:10 am

how would i contact them?
Back to top Go down
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:23 am

Just send them PM (private messages) they are members of this site.
Back to top Go down
Franco
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:16 pm

also you can send a message them on youtube or deviantart, they both are on these sides.
Back to top Go down
SwordGrayFire
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:07 am

Manipulate? i prob think so. i havnt done Jidaigeki in 3 years. but i maybe know what to do. im not promising that i can get it to work but i prob may know what to do....

....probably...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKDkid1
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:11 am

Venom1660 I got some free time and I think I will try to help you I don't know many things at this game but I will try.Can you give me an messenger or something like yahoo, skype, ICQ to communicate more easily or at least give me some parts of the game to see them?
Back to top Go down
Sorinkun
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Count on me if you need some help!

What I do to Danger!
Back to top Go down
http://www.nkdc.forum-motion.com/
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:40 pm

Man I have the original Jidaigeki remake can you show me how to enter a new fighter in the game (story and duel) I mean create one myself and add it?
Back to top Go down
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:18 am

alright thats cool of you guys. Allow me to delve into these files again so I have an idea of how you guys can help me. In order for anyone to help me at all, I need to organize what I want done. I think I might need to do a quick playthrough of the game again to find out exactly where things went wrong. I might as well use that time to record my gameplay and I"ll post it on youtube or something. I'll get back to you guys soon. Danger X, Swordgrayfire, Sorinkun, thanks for offering your assistance. I'll try to get you guys involved with this as soon as I get my stuff together here.
Back to top Go down
SwordGrayFire
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:23 am

ah np, its a good thing i know how to edit characters in the story and duel and add colors like skin,hair(eyes?) and cloths. but sometimes the color pallet of the game makes it weird cuz i had some trouble with the hair color in the game sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKDkid1
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:50 am

does anyone know how to manipulate the comstyledata notepad file? All i know is that the numbers in the beginning of each row represent the numbers in the comstyle columns in the storycharadata and familydata files. There seems to be 125 different comstlyes here. On the bottom of the list it says stuff like unarmed, angry, bring, etc., with numbers representing each one. These numbers must correspond with the numbers in the top list somehow unless I'm mistaken.

Back to top Go down
Sorinkun
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:24 pm

The game looks promissing! I hope you don't go inactive as some people did. Can you pm me and give a demo or tell me how can I help? What do you need; faces or other graphics? Ask!

What I do to Danger!
Back to top Go down
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:45 pm

Hey guy you better make a small tutorial how to add and modify characters in the game so we can understand and help you...really I have much 'free time' at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Venom1660
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:08 am

the faces and graphics are done for the most part.  The main things I can't figure out are how exactly comstyledata, eventdata, and scenario files work.  I'm working on posting a video of the game and it should be on youtube within a few days.  

There actually is a problem with the way characters hold rocks and brass knuckles.  In River City Ransom when they are being held they are positioned directly over their left hand.  In this game when they hold them they are like in the center of their body; it doesn't look too cool.  I donno if that can be fixed.

Adding characters is pretty complicated.  I'm actually not completely sure how to do it.  I know that you start by either editing an existing line or making a new line in storycharadata.  I'm not sure what every number in every column does.  But i do know that:

Name: is the name of your character.  You have to use special letters and they have to be copied and pasted individually, and putting a comma in at the end of the name.

Face: if you go into the graphics folder theres a bmp file showing all of the available faces in the whole game.  I'm fairly certain that you have to count down the faces until you get to the one you want and put the number in this column.  For example say the third face starting from the top is the face you want on your character.  You would put a 3 in the "Face" column.  If you want to make a new face, then you simply edit the one of the faces in the face.bmp file in paint or something and use that. Make sure you don't add any new colors when editing the face.bmp.

not sure what Basis is, or Personal Type, or even Family Type is.

I explained the comstyle column to the best of my knowledge.

Move: is how your character moves along the map.  I think it goes from 1 to 6.  

Money: is pretty self explanatory.  Just type in how much money you want them to drop when defeated

Clothes:  is the color of the clothes your character has, and is linked to the colordata file.  The palate file is how you add new colors.  I will elaborate if requested.

Skin: refer to colordata file

Line: refer to color data

Eye: refer to color data

BGM: this is the boss music you want them to have when they show up.  The number is linked to the BGM folder.

Special: There was a list on this forum telling you what number every special in the game is linked to.  It should be on here still but if not I'll post it.  

not exactly sure how Equip and HardEquip work.  

Hope I helped a little Danger X and anyone else.  As for actually getting the character you created to show up at a specific point in the game, its somehow related to the eventdata and scenario files, but I'm not exactly sure how.  Any questions please ask.  Also anyone that knows what I don't I'd be happy if you shared your knowledge as well.

Last edited by Venom1660 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Danger
Gang Thug

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks for the info man I added a character but the name thing is harder that in KD I used a program called KD rename but here if I type the name wrong it will change the characters (error) can you explain me more cause I don't understand "Name: is the name of your character. You have to use special letters and they have to be copied and pasted individually, with each letter being separated by a comma"
Back to top Go down
Sorinkun
Gang Officer

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:00 am

Equip is for a technique that is learned after beating a number of thugs.
HardEquip is the same thing but harder way. Like M. WPN from the original or H. GUARD. If I remeber right there are 4 or 5 comstyles (play jidaigeki NES english ver and you'll see).

What I do to Danger!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)   

Back to top Go down

River City Ransom: Downtown Special EX!! (Work in Progress)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next